Learning a new language 📚 ~ by Talia

Learning a new language

by Talia

To communicate with someone one must learn their language. Verbal language is only part of it. We also speak with our bodies. When I first arrived in Korea, it was very difficult to express myself; even with gestures I was almost always met with blank stares and then a stream of Korean words I could not understand. Slowly I have been learning the language; not just Korean words and grammar. I sit with my Korean teachers at our studio and tune in as much as I can.

The way of Korea is different and so my way of being has changed too. This studio is where I have my personal practice and as I accept myself more, I am more comfortable simply being around everyone.


Yesterday we spoke of the studio atmosphere at 3pm where all the Teachers are relaxing ~ there was a time before when I would 'try relax', but try as I might I could not. Then the other day, I was practicing with Master and he said, "Follow me. 저를 따라오세요." The Teachers were laughing at his accent; it was a joyful atmosphere. I thought Yes Master and to follow, I said repeated: "저를 따라오세요." So it happened that the Teachers laughed at me. A part of that was a mistake, I just followed my Teacher but I also followed the energy ~ That was a moment to make a joke ~ That was a moment to follow my Teacher. Master had said to me once that I needed to learn to make a joke with everyone. 


Rumi has said: 'Not the ones speaking the same language, but the ones sharing the same feeling, understand each other.'
In this space, I am learning this.

I pick up a book from the shelf.
There is a good collection of books at our studio that have been donated by members from our Teacher Training 'Healing Alchemy' program throughout the years. I choose a Korean book this time, ready to start translating. 

Fortunately I have many Korean teachers around me to help me learn the language!






Comments

Popular Posts